The Mayor of Bristol blog site is a place for Mayor George Ferguson to share his personal reflections on Bristol issues. On some articles, the Mayor will be looking to engage the public on an issue and so commenting will be enabled. We won’t do this on every article due to time and resource issues.
We’ll be reading any comments made on relevant blog posts, but won’t be responding to every comment due to time and resources. If you need customer service, please visit the council’s website to access this. Please be aware this is a pre-moderated website, which means we read your comments before they are published in line with our house rules.
How we moderate the site
This site is pre-moderated. This means a council officer reads your comment before it is posted on the website. This can mean delays in posting during bank holidays and weekends.
We will moderate the site using these principles.
- Contributions must be civil and tasteful
- No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble
- No personal attacks or offensive comments
- No unlawful or objectionable content: unlawful, harassing, defamatory, accusative or abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.
- No spamming or off-topic material: Please don’t re-submit the same contribution many times, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No advertising or promotion of irrelevant websites or services
- Contributions must be in English – we do not have the resources to moderate user submissions in other languages
- Facts and statistics quoted should be supported by the source
- We may choose not to publish from people submitting an excessive number of contributions in order to facilitate a more balanced debate
- Off-topic party politicking will not be published
- No impersonation
Due to time and cost constraints, we do not have the resources to enter into correspondence with people whose contributions have been rejected. If this has happened to you, please read the House Rules and re-submit your comment.
This site is a wordpress.com site provided by a company called Automattic and is covered by their terms and conditions. Contributions and visitors to the site are covered by these terms and conditions.
Site data is securely held by wordpress.com and accessible by the Mayor’s Office and Consultation & Research Team of Bristol City Council.
Website log files and IP addresses
All websites produce log files that record the activity on that site. Log files record which pages on the site have been accessed and how many times. From this information it is possible to produce statistics such as how busy the website is, which pages are the most popular and whether there are any broken links.
Log files typically record the IP address (a numerical label assigned to each device (e.g., computer, printer) participating in a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication) and/or hostname of all users accessing the website. This allows us to distinguish between different users and therefore estimate the number of unique visitors to the website.
Specific IP addresses and hostnames will not be published or released from any Bristol City Council website since the council considers it to be potentially personally identifiable information as; we cannot differentiate between fixed and dynamic IP addresses and we may, on specified websites e.g. Mayoral blog wordpress site, hold personally identifiable information associated with your IP address.
On this wordpress website, IP addresses are stored securely on the website using industry best practice methods for safeguarding information and server functions by the providers of the website Automattic (http://automattic.com/privacy/ )
After 2 years, Bristol City Council will delete comments, including IP address and any personally identifiable information you have given from the site.